Youth Mental Health Canada is Canada’s only registered, grassroots charitable organisation that is focused on international best practices in youth mental health education, support, advocacy and change and youth suicide prevention.
We are currently seeking passionate volunteers with strong interpersonal, administrative and organisational skills. These volunteers will assist us to organise and plan YMHC events and activities to help expand our community of youth mental health champions and youth suicide prevention advocates. Once you have demonstrated your understanding of youth mental health issues and suicide prevention through your volunteer contributions, we will schedule training for workshop facilitators.
We are currently seeking energetic Workshop Facilitators for next school year, 2018 – 2019.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Co-Facilitator will help lead school workshops on youth mental health issues and youth suicide prevention.
Responsibilities and duties:
In order to qualify for the workshop facilitator position, it is expected that you will participate as a YMHC volunteer prior to the training and workshop opportunities: time commitment involved would be 1 – 2 hours a week. The skills you demonstrate in your contributions to YMHC will help guide the Executive Director and the Workshop Coordinator in making decisions about workshop facilitation.
– Become familiar with the material and content required for the workshop you will co-facilitate
– Prepare each session in collaboration with the other co-facilitator.
– Facilitate school and community workshops as needed
– Coordinate workshop scheduling with other facilitators and the Executive Director and Workshop Coordinator
– Attend the pre- and post-workshop meetings, contributing to its evaluation
– Undergraduate or graduate degree in a field related to mental health (psychology, social work)
– Experience in group facilitation, an asset
– Knowledge of mental health challenges and disabilities
– Be available and attend the training session on Tuesday, August 14 and other training opportunities
- Exemplary empathy, solid active-listening skills
- Group management skills
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- You enjoy leading and guiding others
- You have the self-confidence to speak in front of large groups of people
- You have the self-control to avoid being defensive when criticized
- You enjoy acting as a guide to help move people through a process together
- You enjoy shaping the process of how people arrive at consensus in order to meet their common goals
- You can maintain objectivity and neutrality during debates and when facing criticism
- Lived experience of mental health challenges and suicide is an asset
- Workshop Facilitators will be required on an as needed basis in relation to workshop schedules
- Facilitators must attend the training session(s) on youth mental health and suicide prevention materials usage. There might be opportunities for training in Safe Talk, Mental Health First Aid and ASIST.
- Typically, workshops will be scheduled for two-hour time slots and can be an assembly, class workshop, film screening and discussion
- Coordination with the school to schedule the workshop will be required via phone and email
All workshops will be co-facilitated. Minimum payment will be $100 each for a two hour time period, with a $100 donation to Youth Mental Health Canada from the school.
- The Workshop Facilitator will receive training and will learn skills related to youth mental health workshop facilitation
- Upon request, a reference letter will be provided upon successful completion of the role
Interested? Please send an email expressing your interest to [email protected].
Please include any relevant experience and questions you may have about the volunteer position.