About YMHC Charitable Foundation:
- Youth Mental Health Canada (YMHC) is a national network of youth and student leaders, families, educators, suicide attempt and loss survivors and community members transforming the way we think about mental health and suicide prevention through participation in evidence-based educational programs and events and the development of mental health and wellness educational resources and tools.
- Website: https://ymhc.ngo/
Work Status: Volunteer, from 1 to 3 days per month mostly on weekends
Location: Combination of remote working and working at YMHC office at 51 Stuart St. Hamilton, Ontario
Reports to: Treasurer, Executive director, Board of directors
Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: This is a volunteer position.
This position is ideal for a qualified Board director who has a love and compassion for supporting youth mental health advocating initiatives, and who wishes to grow professionally within a non-profit organization.
The Treasurer will oversee the financial matters of the organization in line with good practice and in accordance with the governing document and legal requirements. The Treasurer reports to the Board of directors at regular intervals about the financial health of the organization.
Please note that the location is remote working or voluntary in-person working at the YMHC office at 51 Stuart St. Hamilton, Ontario. The office location is accessible through public transit including Go Train.
- Collaborate with the bookkeeper as needed, normally on a monthly basis;
- Ensuring budget is prepared and presented to the Board within agreed timelines;
- Preparing variance comparison between approved budget and actual performance;
- Approve, where appropriate, policy, financial transactions, actionable items, and recommendations received from the Board, its standing committees and the executive directors;
- Write cheques and co-sign with Chair, as needed, on approved expenditures;
- Attend monthly Board meetings to present the financial report and respond to questions;
- Ensure the YMHC Board of directors receives financial information to be able to monitor the financial situation of the organization;
- Provide input into the organization’s strategic plan and initiatives;
- Perform other tasks and projects as assigned by the Board.
- Raising issues and concerns that support the Vision, Mission, and the effective operation of YMHC;
- Providing support by attending special events and/or participating in YMHC activities;
- Participating with fundraising initiatives;
- Providing assistance and guidance in making connections, and supporting and advising on the long-term sustainability of YMHC;
- Attending Board meetings regularly – typically on a monthly basis on weekends.
- The Treasurer will have senior leadership experience in the finance field, preferably with a CPA designation.
- Diversity, equity & inclusion;
- Understanding of mental health and substance use disorders;
- Non-profit employment (please note that attention will be given to avoiding any real or perceived conflict of interest).
- Committed to, and have demonstrated the YMHC’s values and ethical standards
- Exercise independence of judgment and a willingness to defend a position
- Public speaking experience and strong written and communication skills
- Strategic thinking
- Strong leadership skills
- A track record of integrity and accountability
- Lived experience of mental health challenges is considered an asset
- Uncompromising character and personal ethics;
- Strategic, thoughtful, and helpful;
- Respectful and engaged; and
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
As a part of YMHC’s COVID-19 vaccination and attestation policy (https://ymhc.ngo/covid-policy), to be present in-person at the YMHC office, staff, volunteers, board members, program participants, visitors, and contractors must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as defined by the Ontario Ministry of Health.
Please submit your cover letter and resume at https://ymhc.ngo/contact/join/
We sincerely thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please no inquiries.