About YMHC Charitable Foundation:
- Youth Mental Health Canada (YMHC) is a national network of youth and student leaders, families, educators, suicide attempt and loss survivors and community members transforming the way we think about mental health and suicide prevention through participation in evidence-based educational programs and events and the development of mental health and wellness educational resources and tools.
- Website: https://ymhc.ngo/
Work Status: Volunteer, from 1 to 3 days per month mostly on weekends
Location: Combination of remote working and working at YMHC office at 51 Stuart St. Hamilton, Ontario
Reports to: Treasurer, Executive director, Board of directors
Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: This is a volunteer position.
This position is ideal for a qualified Board director who has a love and compassion for supporting youth mental health initiatives, and wishes to grow professionally within a non-profit organization.
Please note that the location is remote working or voluntary in-person working at the YMHC office at 51 Stuart St. Hamilton, Ontario. The office location is accessible through public transit including Go Train.
- Approve, where appropriate, policy, financial transactions, actionable items, and recommendations received from the Board, its standing committees and the executive directors;
- Review the Board’s structure, approve changes, and prepare necessary by-law amendments;
- Strategic input into activating the Vision, Mission, and Values of YMHC and being a true advocate for the organization;
- Raising issues and concerns that support the Vision, Mission, and the effective operation of YMHC;
- Providing support by attending special events and/or participating in YMHC activities;
- Participating with fundraising initiatives;
- Providing assistance and guidance in making connections, and supporting and advising on the long-term sustainability of YMHC;
- Providing sound, objective judgment which informs decision making;
- Attending Board meetings regularly – typically on a monthly basis on weekends; and
- Serving on at least one Committee and attending Committee meetings as needed.
- Understanding of diversity, equity & inclusion;
- Understanding of mental health and substance use disorders;
- Non-profit employment (please note that attention will be given to avoiding any real or perceived conflict of interest) is considered an asset.
- Committed to, and have demonstrated the YMHC’s values and ethical standards
- Exercise independence of judgment and a willingness to defend a position
- Public speaking experience and strong written and communication skills
- Strategic thinking
- Strong leadership skills
- A track record of integrity and accountability
- Lived experience of mental health challenges is considered an asset
- Uncompromising character and personal ethics;
- Strategic, thoughtful, and helpful;
- Respectful and engaged; and
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
As a part of YMHC’s COVID-19 vaccination and attestation policy (https://ymhc.ngo/covid-policy), to be present in-person at the YMHC office, staff, volunteers, board members, program participants, visitors, and contractors must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as defined by the Ontario Ministry of Health.
Please submit your cover letter and resume at https://ymhc.ngo/contact/join/
We sincerely thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please no inquiries.